Saturday, April 14, 2012

Prize Pet stories

Prize Pets
and Their Stories
Recently we combined art and writing. The final outcome was this bulletin board. First, I read Puppy For Sale. (I need to double check on that title and the author.) It is a short story about a boy visiting a pet shop. He spies a handicap puppy and is determined to buy it. After reading the story, we brainstormed ideas of prizes that could be awarded for different pets (fastest runner, best barker, best biter...yes, one of my students said that was the best thing about his dog....lol). Then each student created their own story about their "Prize Pet".
After completing all the writer's workshop steps (peer conference, editing, revising, and publishing), the students decorated lunch bags to look like their real or imagined pets. I stapled the bags to my bulletin board, rolled up their stories and placed them in the bags.

1 comment: