Sunday, September 2, 2012

First week

ah, the first week of school...Due to my injury (I fractured my elbow the Wednesday before school started...boo hoo), I was forced to take a more layed back attitude. Of course it helped that I had already set up the room and had almost everything organized! Thankfully, everything went rather smoothly and I realized that I should start every year with less perfectionism.
For example...This year, I let the students choose their own seats. It was fun to see them make this decision and it was less work for me. I also have a better idea which students should  be kept separated...hee, hee.
 As you can see, I arrange my students in teams. Each team has 4 members. Once I finish my diagnostics, I level my students. Then I put 1 high, 1 low, 1 high-average and 1 low-average ability students in each team. Well, that's the plan anyway. As you know, not all classes fit that profile. By dividing the students in this manner I can easily select high-low partners or similar ability partners.




3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your injury. Your room looks amazing! Very clean and organized.

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my students choose where they want to sit at the beginning of the year as well. It is amazing how quickly they show their true colours! Hope you heal up soon.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete